Monday, August 10, 2009

Only Words Can Describe (with a few pictures)...

This is one of those posts that words cannot describe in one simple phrase or line.
It is one of those posts that many of you just may not understand the importance.
Trust me, you will think I'm slightly crazy! But those that understand will be like, oh yeah.
Do I have your attention? Let's get started with this crazy post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm a foodie - to the core. There, I admit it.
My life doesn't totally revolve around food, but it probably goes in the order of:
1. God
2. Family
3. Food
That's right. What more can I say?
When I do find one of those spectacular places filled with an array of scrumptious food, I do dream of going back. Most times I wish that we had one here in our small town, but I know that is probably not going to happen, so I just have to enjoy it when I'm out of our little town.
Some places are known for certain types of food, or have a place unlike any other.
Fortunately for me (us), one of those dear little places makes kits and sends them around the world, none-the-less, for foodies like me who need to get a fix. This fix for me came 5.5 years after leaving this city.
I'll give you a hint:
Mexican American food in Grand Forks, North Dakota
Anyone who has lived there will be shouting an immediate answer and know what I'm about to tell those of you who have never experienced it before.
So, what is so fabulous about it?
There specialty is grinders. And for people like me, and many others, that can't drive to University Avenue to get one in a quick minute, we can have a kit overnighted to our door.
**Disclaimer: My in-laws were in GF, so we asked them very nicely to bring us one home. :)
This is what you get in a kit.
Hugo's buns (8 half buns)
Choice of meat (or all kinds if you are like me)
Cheese (both, again - me)
Special sauce
Red Pepper Hot Sauce
Lettuce
My mouth is watering all over again.
You slice open your fresh hoagie buns and layer the meat on.
Warm up your taco meat, and put your cheese on top.




Warm up the whole sandwich.

Add the lettuce, special sauce, and taco sauce.

This next picture is the kicker:
[ ]
Yeah, there is nothing left!
I dare you to go to the Red Pepper sometime, or order a kit if you can't get there in person like me.
I would love to hear your comments - especially those who have a heart like mine for this unique place, that has brought much joy to the students of UND and residents of GF, and well, pretty much all of North Dakota!

2 comments:

Candis Berge said...

Fun post. Makes me hungry!

CJ Olson said...

I'm impressed that you call it a grinder!! Seriously!! YUMMY!! :-)