Thursday, January 13, 2011

Family Tradition...

This may be old news now that we are into a new year, however I'm still going to post on it considering it is part of my holiday tradition. This is for those of you that had the privilege of hearing about my version of Oyster Stew. You can find the recipe that I used right here!
It really is an easy recipe that is just a bit more substantial that the old school version that I grew up on. But I must admit that I never really ate the oysters back then, just the good milk/butter broth with the crackers. And as I've grown, my palate has expanded exponentially, and there is pretty much nothing that I won't try, and few things I don't like after trying it. Let's hope my kids get the same taste buds as they grow up too!
There are 2 separate beginning steps that then merge to complete the stew.
1. Make a roux with butter and flour, and then after cooking for a while, add in the broth.
2. Have your vegetables chopped and ready to hit the pan with a little bit more butter.

3. I also like to have my seasonings ready so that I don't waste time searching for them when they are supposed to be hitting the pot. And yes, always good to have your cup of coffee by your side to sip/ guzzle while you cook!

**This is the main difference in the two stews. Mine has a nice plethora of vegetables to add lots of additional flavor.

4. After the vegetables have cooked to tender, then you add your broth from step 1, and let it simmer and the favors meld together. This is also the time that you add all of the wonderful seasonings. I love the smell of my kitchen at this point!

5. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the star of the meal before putting them into the pot (but really, oysters don't look that appetizing, so probably okay if you are now considering trying this recipe.) I do highly recommend getting fresh oysters. There is a big difference in taste and texture compared with canned. I always hear about how people don't like how "gritty" they are, and never once have I had a gritty, fresh oyster. Just nice and tender, not rubbery either (that would mean you over cooked them and at too high of temperature.) Feel free to serve with oyster crackers.
This is a picture of my very small left over container that I got to enjoy the next evening. Yes that is an oyster on the spoon with a couple crackers.
Unfortunately, my family couldn't get together as planned due to winter storms in the state, but we made it anyways (I wasn't going to let those delicious oysters go to waste), and ended up having 3 of our friends over to enjoy it with us.
Even Kevin, who claims to not be a seafood fan, likes this oyster stew, and verbalizes his excitement for it each holiday season! And many others who used to only sip the broth of the old school version, take seconds of this oyster stew!
Try it, I dare you!!

4 comments:

Gretchen R said...

That looks soooooo good!

Candis Berge said...

Great tutorial. Looks delicious. (I have to admit,I've never had oyster stew.) I like fish, so this is appealing, for sure. Don't you feel like a professional chef when you have all those spices ready? Love it. :)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try it. I've made oyster stew once but I don't think I had so many veggies in it. I'd like to do it your way - we both know you are the REAL cook! :) Cass

Brooke said...

There are so many "Cass" recipes that I make, so you are an equally good cook! Give yourself a little credit. I think you'd really like it!