Tuesday, February 08, 2011

2 Down, 1 to Go...

This past week has been somewhat unexpected, but totally appreciated in the fact that Emmett has chosen to be ready to join Harrison in wearing undies! I honestly have a hard time understanding and comprehending the fact that I really only have Maura in diapers now. Pretty sure I never thought these days would come.
I'm certain that this all started because he was able to see and feel what it was like to go in the potty last week. I don't want this to be too much information for people, but because I'm a mom to 3 small children I forget that some don't enjoy hearing these stories that just make us jump up and down. Anyways...
Since then, he has been able to "perform" on the potty each time he sits down. Needless to say, there have been few accidents along the way, and by no means do we have the #2 issue close to being perfect (or started), but either way, I'll take this. Emmett even wore undies to the restaurant this weekend and was successful in keeping them dry the entire time we were there.
We started this out by using one of those mini seats that go on top of the regular toilet seat. He was very comfortable with that, and was something that helped make it easier so that he didn't have to worry about holding himself up, and try to go at the same time. Multi-tasking for little boys is just as difficult as it is for some grown men. Obviously we weren't going to take the mini seat with us, so we needed to be specific that there wouldn't be one there for him, and if he wanted to wear his undies then he needed to show us he could use the big potty seat before we left. And he was determined to do so, and did with gusto! After that we hid the mini seat and told him that since he could use the big one the little one wasn't necessary any more. Thankfully we didn't get too many questions about it, but instead was proud that he was big and could go anywhere and use a big potty! YES!
So, far this first half of the day has been accident free, and we are trying to stay positive on that, and taking him to the bathroom frequently to try and keep it being a positive and encouraging experience for him.
It would be so great to have this process 99% perfect by summer. Thankfully we are still in winter and not distracted by the nice weather yet (not that I'm not anxious for the nice weather :)), and will take this learning opportunity and run with it while I have the full attention.
Since this is so soon and sudden I haven't completely felt the positive ramifications yet, but am looking forward to it (less money spent in diapers and wipes would be the top spot).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Emmers!!! You ARE such a big boy...we miss you. :) Cass