Monday, March 23, 2009

Projects

At Christmas time, I had the wonderful opportunity to learn how to knit from Lois' sister Mary. She told me that the needles I was learning on were the first ones she got and they turned 40 years that Christmas. I don't think I could have learned from a better person!
She gave me the pattern for this easy baby blanket, and I managed to finish about 1 week prior to babies birth - even though it was still past her due date. Maybe you can figure out who it was for. She should have it by now, so I shouldn't be spoiling a surprise. Anyway, here are some pictures of the completed project.

I also have been experimenting with making homemade yogurt. The first time I tried making raspberry yogurt, but I think it needed to incubate longer. This time I made a plain batch, simply due to the fact that I needed to have a reference point. Plus I love fruit and yogurt parfait's, so I figured this would be a great retry.
It really turned out pretty good this time!
For those of you unfamiliar with yogurt making, it's basically heated milk, cooled, with cultures added to it, then incubated for a long time until the consistency that you want, and then chilled.

Here I'm heating my milk - no better use for my candy thermometer!
This was after the incubation period before putting them into the refrigerator.
I haven't taken a picture of my parfait's yet, but they certainly are mighty tasty! Kevin and I shared one last night for a bedtime snack! He was pleasantly surprised considering he told me "I don't like plain yogurt!"

6 comments:

Danny and Mandy said...

Awesome blanket and yummy yogurt. You are amazing!

Tim and Jenny said...

You gotta teach me how to find the time to do fun stuff like you do as a mom with 2 kids! I can't seem to find time to do anything! You rock Mrs. Rogness! ;)

stumbo fam said...

Wow! The blanket turned out just beautiful!!

Candis Berge said...

I love that pattern and would like to get a copy of the pattern. I would love to knit that! And I was just gearing up to make some yogurt with my old (1975) yogurt maker. Must have been one of those wedding gifts...

CJ Olson said...

I love your blanket!! It's so cute! I'm sure that she'll love her blanket!

I like the idea of making homemade yogurt!! Even more encouraging is when you hear someone say that I don't like plain yogurt but likes this! You must be doing a good job!!

Eric, Maralee, & Baby S said...

We did receive your BEAUTIFUL blanket. Thank you so much for the keepsake!! Little S will love cuddling in it, especially since it was made by you!

Your yogurt sounds great...perhaps we can try some this summer.