Last night at supper, Harrison gave me a high compliment. A 3 year old doesn't hand them out often, however due to some semi-unusual circumstances this compliment fit the profile.
Sunday for lunch Kevin and I had some left over Steak Fajitas. Delicious, I might add! The boys get their usual bean and cheese quesadilla when we have something that is less than desirable for them. If you didn't know, the boys love quesadilla's, especially with beans - black specifically.
Sunday night we had Pannekoeken. A family favorite, and super duper easy, made with staples I always have in the kitchen. Harrison lights up when he sees this being made. Pretty much can't wait for it to get out of the oven. One variation that night was bacon added to the menu. I had it, so I made it. The boys are big breakfast meat fans, so I don't even usually offer it. This night Harrison asked what it was, and then responded, "Bacon, that's my favorite!" The kid has never had it in his life, that I'm aware of. I gave him a small morsel so he could have a taste. He promptly asked for more... then more... and then more again. Kevin and I looked at each other, and asked "Who is this kid, and where did ours go?" Let's just hope that he remembers that he does like it and will want to eat it again.
Monday night I made Easy Swedish Meatballs. This again is a know favorite, and super easy (considering it was in my freezer from the batch I made 2 months ago). Whip up some mashed potatoes and some asparagus and there you have a pretty good meal for a gal who was at work at 5 am that morning. The boys had just gotten buckled into their seats, I was grabbing something from the kitchen, when Harrison gave me his high compliment... "Mommy, you are a good cooker!" It was just what I needed to hear, even though I unknowingly set myself up for compliment like that with the meal plan I had going on over the last 36 hours.
Even so, I was pretty proud that my 3 year old son would take it upon himself to give me a great compliment, especially one I didn't expect to hear.
I admit that I'm not one to make meals to just make my kids happy. I have a pretty complex palate, and one that doesn't allow for kid meals on a regular basis. I know that they won't always like what I make, but I hope that they have an appreciation for different tastes, textures, and cultures through the things that I enjoy. Even my husband gets a little culture through what I make, and can sometimes be surprised to find out that he really does like seafood or fish (he still won't admit it openly though). My hope is one day that they will be fine going to places and not turn up their nose at what someone else makes and finds enjoyable, to find that they might like it themselves.
Here's hoping for the future!
2 comments:
Did you explain to him what an extra good cooker you are? After all, you're cookin' him up a new baby sibling too!
You're such a great cook. Do you share recipes? 5 a.m. --- Kevin should be cooking for you!! Or not???
Post a Comment