Friday, September 24, 2010

Rounded the Corner...

I think it's safe to say at this point that we've offically rounded the corner on potty training!

Can I get a big, hands in the air "Whoop, whoop!!"

Okay, I guess I'll be the only one doing that.

Harrison has finally got it all figured out. There have been a number of weeks in our house when I think we all thought he would never get it. His stubbornness has played a big role in that. When this all started 3+ months ago, he claimed "when I'm 4 mommy, then I'll go potty. When I'm 4." Thankfully he got the peeing thing down very quickly, but like most (or I think most) kids the other function has taken some time.

Through all this, he has learned quite a bit about human anatomy, with his "why's" and all. Bladder and colon became regular words in his vocabulary considering he told me all the time that "My _________ isn't full. Later mommy, later." Then followed by an outburst due to me merely suggesting to "just try." The later's and tomorrow's usually ended up being a week, but like I've said, this week we've finally rounded that corner.

I won't tell you how successful it has been this week (for fear of TMI for some of you), but we'll say we've got the function down. And now when it is brought up, Harrison trots off to the bathroom with out a bit of attitude, but instead telling us that he better go _____. And he certainly does!

It's amazing how different a kid can be when they finally understand and do what they need to do. There is far less meltdowns and yelling in the house, thank heavens. I think we can begin to enjoy our almost 4 year old. "Mommy, now that I'm going to be 4 next week, I can go potty now. Because I'm going to be 4." I guess we just needed to wait until he was 4!

Now if we can just get Harrison & Emmett to stop saying "Why?"!!!

1 comment:

CJ Olson said...

Woo hoo for potty training and getting it! That's SO awesome! I'm excited for you guys bc we are at the same point....I think we also have turned a corner!!