Tuesday, June 12, 2007

St. Louis ... The details!

Okay, so I have a slide show posted below with some captions, but some people may enjoy more details about my trip to St. Louis then what's captioned with the pics. Thankfully I had decent weather, so no direct complications. I left Fargo at 11:30 on Friday morning with everything going smoothly until I get to security. I wasn't aware of a limit of the amount of fluids, gels, or liquids that you could bring with you on the plane. How many total ounces you ask? 3 oz. Total! That would be appoximately 100 ml or a hand cream. Well, in the past I had always carried on my makeup bag so if my bag ever got lost I would at least have that. The security guard was appauled (to say the least) that I had so much stuff and sent me back to ticketing to check my makeup bag! Thankfully my .3 oz lip balm was satisfactory for the trip. Things seemed to go smoothly from Fargo to Minneapolis, and then to Cincinnati, and everything was looking fine in Cincinnati until my flight was cancelled due to the plane that was supposed to be there not having left New York and a crew couldn't be rustled up to fly a plane that they had in the hanger! Hmmm...so how am I supposed to get to St. Louis? Well, after waiting in line for 45 minutes to talk to a rep, being guarenteed a hotel room and a flight at the wee hours of the morning, being put on standby for the next outgoing flight that night (not getting on), but then getting a seat on the NEXT flight - I finally made it to St. Louis. 4 Hours later that planned, but I didn't have to stay in Cincinnati - fhew! In my happiness to finally reach my destination, my suitcase (with my makeup bag with it) didn't make it! Remember why I carry on my makeup bag?? So, they guarenteed me that it would be delivered by 11 pm the next day to my friends house! Thankfully, Sandi is so on the ball, she had soap, body wash, lotion, toothbrush and paste, etc. for me to use! And we were about the same size clothes, so I borrowed for a day - I did pack some essentials in my carry on (if you know what I mean.) In the process of waiting for my bag there was a bunch of hoopla going on because they were filming a movie "The Return" in the baggage claim area (I can't remember who they said was in it - I was a little preoccupied.)
Saturday we went to see the Arch! We had perfect weather! Mark (Sandi's husband) and I went to the top and saw as far as the eye can see. It was quite an experience going up in these little pods. Clausterphobic people shouldn't do this!!! Then we went in this old Catholic Church, and did some walking and eating in the old downtown. They give a whole new meaning to cobblestone streets. Any regular person has problems not tripping on these bricks!
Then we went to Union Station. This was the main train depot for St. Louis, now converted to shops and eating places. Very neat idea! That's where we fed the koi and turtles. That afternoon Sandi and I went shopping at one of the malls that is close to her home. All I know is that my legs got a major workout on the whole trip!
Sunday, we went to the outlet mall and did more shopping! We're women, what do you expect! And after that we went to historic downtown St. Charles! There are people that dress up in the 1900's garb and act out different things, talk to people, etc. This spot is filled with neat little shops! And that night we rested!
Monday we didn't do much since we had to leace for the airport by 11:45 am. Everything went fine, I had already put my makeup bag in my suitcase, so I didn't have to worry about that. Made it to Atlanta just fine, went to my next gate and everything looked good UNTIL...they started pushing the departure time back. How could this happen twice in 1 trip? Evidently there were some nastly storms north of Atlanta and they weren't able to accept any incoming and outgoing flights! They boaded us 30 minutes late and we waited, and waited, and waited on the take off. Apparently there were like 50 planes that were waiting to take off as well, so it was going to be a while! We finally took off 2 hours after our original departure time. So there goes my connection for Fargo! Thankfully there was another flight at 10:20 pm, and they had enough room for me to go on that one! With all of the travel time that day, I would have taken less time to drive from St. Louis to Fergus. Yeah! Next time I'll be considering my options more after my excursion this time. I also had the opportunity again of having my luggage not being in Fargo when I got there - and I'm still currently waiting to hear from them about it! No makeup bag again! At least I'm home now, so that is some relief!
Harrison had a great time with Kevin, and it sounds like they both had some interesting experiences! I'm glad that they could spend that father/son time together and bond! Harrison smiled at me this morning like he did every other morning, so he obviously didn't miss me, but was still happy to see me when he woke up! All I know is that he would have been one cranky camper if he would have went with me, so I'm glad I traveled alone!
I hope you enjoyed the story of my travels and I would recommend a vacation to St. Louis to anyone. I know there were many things I didn't have time to do, but now I have a reason to go back!
A big Thank You to Sandi & Mark for letting me stay with you and enjoy being in your presence again! You were perfect hosts! I miss you so much! Next time the boys are coming with!

1 comment:

Hallie said...

I can't believe it! That is a good story. I'm glad you finally made it home. I'm glad you at least had a good time in St. Louis.