Tuesday, June 23, 2009

SIRENS

Last week on Wednesday and Thursday, the boys and I got to spend some time downstairs in our basement (Kevin joined us on Thursday). We were experiencing quite the weather pattern, and were in tornado warnings in which the sirens go off in town. On Wednesday we had been outside for 10 minutes and the sirens went off. Since the tv isn't on much during the day, I had no idea that we were on the horizon of some thunderstorms. There was a tornado south-west of town, but we only experienced some light rain. I do feel much safer going to the basement during weather like this, so I felt much better about that decision even though we didn't see much action here.
On Thursday I was aware of the weather that was coming our way, so I wasn's surprised when the sirens went off that evening at about 6:30. Thankfully Kevin was home, but he never wants to go to the basement. When I saw the wall cloud coming into town with pitch black behind it, I basically told him that we were going down. He obliged and followed. Thankfully we didn't experience and major damage.
As you can see, I manage to bring a couple toys with to occupy the boys time while we are down there. Our basement is unfinished, and is basically storage to the things that we don't use right now. We have just a couple strips of carpet to the washer and dryer to give my feet a little cushion from the cement.
(As I type this I hear a constant roll of light thunder with the sky getting darker and darker. Now I'm hearing Harrison talking about sirens. I know we are supposed to be having thunderstroms off and on today.)




No comments: